Florida Laws and Regulations
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Kayla M. Cavicchio
BSN, RN, CEN
Chapter 464, known and often referred to as the Nurse Practice Act, is separated into two parts. Part I discusses the advanced practiced registered nurse, registered nurse, and licensed practical nurse. The purpose of this statue is to ensure that every nurse practicing in the state of Florida is held to and meets the minimum standards for safe practice. Because of this, nurses who do not meet the minimum standards or display a threat to society are barred from practicing nursing in the state of Florida. The Board of Nursing is the governing body for the Nurse Practice Act and deal with matters such as provide licensure, create rules, and manage disciplinary actions. Part II focuses on the certified nursing assistant. Chapters 456 and Division 64B9 are guidance and further statues that pertain to the nursing profession.
This course is designed to meet the requirements of Division 64B9-5 as it pertains to 2 continuing education hours about Florida’s laws and regulations of the nursing practice.
- Board of Nursing: Members and Headquarters Location
- Licensure by Examination and Endorsement
- Licensure by Compact
- Delegation to the Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) or Unlicensed Personnel (UP)
- IV Administration by LPNs
- LPN Supervision in Nursing Homes
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Maintaining Medical Records
- Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
- Disciplinary Action
- Florida’s Intervention Project for Nurses (IPN)
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Florida requires that all nurses take a course on the statutes and regulations in Florida State, as it pertains to nursing. This course is designed to satisfy this requirement. The average learner will take 120 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand the Nurse Practice Act as it pertains to nursing practice.
- Identify special rules as they pertain to each individual course attendee.
- Identify the process for obtaining licensure.
- Identify areas for discipline.
- Understand the Intervention Project for Nurses.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner.
- Read and learn all course materials.
- Complete the course evaluation.
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials.
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
COURSE CREATION ON: MARCH 15, 2021
Course Expires on: March 15, 2024
Course Offering: #18