Infection Control and Barrier Precautions
Contact Hours Awarded: 4
Author: Shane Slone
DNP, RN, APRN, AGACNP-BC
The healthcare industry is held accountable to keep patients safe with nursing having a pivotal role. Nurses must adhere to the guidelines set in place to ensure that care is aimed at infection prevention for both healthcare workers and patients. Modes and mechanisms of transmission of pathogenic organisms in the healthcare setting and strategies for prevention control are necessary. Use of engineering and work practice controls to reduce the opportunity for patient and healthcare worker exposure to potentially infectious material in all healthcare settings. Creation and maintenance of a safe environment for patient care in all healthcare settings through application of infection control principles and practices for cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilization.
- Element I
- Element II
- Element III
- Element IV
- Element V
- Element VI
- Element VII
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss infection control and barrier precautions. It will take the average learner 240 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand core principles of infection control.
- Understand basic infection control practices and how to apply them.
- Understand sepsis and the core elements of sepsis treatment and recognition.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
COURSE CREATED ON: January 01, 2021
Course Expires on: January 01, 2024
Course Offering: #36