Pain Management in Newborns
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Hollie Dubroc
Pain management in newborns can be quite complex. These patients are non-verbal and are lacking the cognitive skill set to identify pain to a healthcare provider or caretaker. While this communication between those under the age of 1 and others is unable to be established, the assessment and management of pain should still be a priority. When pain is left untreated it has the potential to create both short and long-term negative outcomes with physiologic, behavioral, and hormonal consequences (1).
- Defining Pain
- Identifying Pain
- Assessment Tools
- Causative Factors
- Untreated Pain
- Prevention and Goals
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss various tools and techniques used for pain management in newborns. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will rate 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Define pain and common pain occurrences in patient’s less than a year old.
- Identify and assess pain in the newborn and infant populations.
- Describe both pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment interventions for pain.
- Recognize negative impacts of untreated pain including short- and long-term effects.
- Describe parent/guardian education to distinguish pain in this this age group.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: may 13, 2024
Course Offering: #64