Chest Tubes Nursing Care
Contact Hours Awarded: 4
Author: Meghan Jenkins
Chest tube nursing care and placement is common procedure in many hospitals, yet nurses consistently rank them as one of the most overwhelming drains to care for.
A malfunction in a chest tube can be deadly for a patient in a matter of seconds. Many hospitals have recognized them as a common source of error and patient harm. For these reasons it is imperative that nurses understand how chest tubes function and how to care for them. In this course we will discuss the anatomy, indications, and care of chest tubes.
- What Is a Chest Tube?
- Current Practice
- Indications for Chest Tube Placement
- Patient Considerations for Chest Tube Nursing Care
- Potential Complications
- Where Are Chest Tubes Placed?
- Chest Tube Drainage Systems
- Nurse Roles and Responsibilities: How to Manage Chest Tubes
- Chest Tube Nursing Care Troubleshooting: When to Call the Doctor
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss chest tube nursing care and procedures. It will take the average learner 240 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
Identify the relevant anatomy and indications for chest tube placement.
Understand the basics of the procedure and different type of chest tubes.
Explain chest tube nursing care, including basic troubleshooting.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Publish Date: March 01, 2018.
Course Renewed on: February 24, 2022
Course Expires on: February 24, 2025
Course Offering: #8