Emergency Response in the Correctional Setting
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Sheila Burns
Correctional nurses have limited access to hands-on experience with medical emergencies. Therefore, they must rely on the knowledge and skills they have and adapt them to the correctional setting. This course will discuss how correctional nurses can use the resources they have to provide the best possible care for their patients in an emergency. It will also review the types of emergencies they may encounter and the correctional nurse’s role in managing the emergency.
- Training and Practice
- Patient Assessment
- Types of Emergencies
- Emergency Drills
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the importance of developing and following an emergency response plan as a nurse in the correctional setting. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize nurse training limitations on dealing with emergency response.
- Help nurses to walk through what is expected in an emergency.
- Identify areas of their practice and preparedness for an emergency and how to rectify them.
- Encourage nurses to practice skills which are rarely used.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: August 26, 2024
Course Offering: #124