End of Life Care for Geriatric Patients
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Mary Sweeney
BSN, RN, CEN, ONN-CG (T)
End-of-life care is one of the most important roles of the nurse. There is no time more vulnerable nor critical for patients and families. As Americans age at a rapid pace, end-of-life care has become and will remain a major role of any nurse working within the hospital setting, and has even been integrated into many palliative care settings. This course is specific to geriatric patients but can be applied to patients of any age in any setting, as many of the principles remain the same.
- What is End of Life Care?
- End of Life vs. Palliative Care
- Types of End of Life Care
- The Role of the Nurse in End of Life Planning
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss some of the major considerations all nurses should be aware of when providing end-of-life care. The average learner will take 120 minutes to complete this course.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the role of the nurse in planning for end-of-life in geriatric patients.
- Distinguish between and describe the types of end of life care.
- Explain the core principles of end-of-life care.
- Understand how to support patients and families through end of life care.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Created on: January 24, 2020
Course Expires on: January 24, 2023
Course Offering: #22