Contact Hours Awarded: 3
Author: Sarah Schulze
MSN, APRN, CPNP
This course fulfills the continuing education requirement for the District of Columbia on HIV/AIDS.
An estimated 1.2 million Americans are living with HIV. As many as 1 in 7 of them do not even know they are infected. The others utilize the healthcare system in a variety of ways, from testing and treatment regimens to hospitalizations for symptoms and opportunistic infections. Healthcare professionals in nearly every setting have the potential to encounter patients with HIV as the disease can affect patients of any age or stage of life (4). Proper understanding of HIV is important to provide high–quality and holistic care to these patients.
- Introduction and Objectives
- Etiology and Pathogenesis
- Transmissibility and Infection Control
- Treatment Considerations
- Care Considerations for Comorbidities and Coinfections
- Ethical Concerns
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss HIV/AIDS. It will take the average learner 180 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Have an increased understanding of the history of HIV and how the stigma around the disease developed and is being combated today.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how a person is infected with HIV and the various stages of the disease.
- Demonstrate understanding of transmission modalities and appropriate infection control measures.
- Have a basic knowledge of treatment approaches, common side effects, and barriers to proper treatment.
- Understand comorbidities and coinfections common with HIV.
- Understand ethical issues and confidentiality surrounding the care of HIV patients.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: March 23, 2024
Course Offering: 43