Managing Surgical Site Infections
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Elizabeth Walters
DNP, CPNP, RN
Surgical site infections have the highest mortality rate of all healthcare-associated infections, with a mortality rate of 3% (4, 9, 36). Further, surgical site infections are costly with an estimated total cost of $3.3 billion and approximately one million extra, unnecessary, inpatient days for patients (12, 36). It is vital to utilize evidence-based practice strategies to reduce surgical site infections.
- Risk Factors for Surgical Site Infections
- Infection Prevention Strategies
- Surgical Environment for Prevention of Surgical Site Infections
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss how to recognize and prevent surgical site infections. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the epidemiology of surgical site infections.
- Recognize patient risk factors for developing surgical site infections.
- Describe infection prevention practices for prevention of surgical site infections.
- Describe surgical environment practices for prevention of surgical site infections.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: July 28, 2024
Course Offering: #116