Renal Failure Stages, Treatment, and Outcomes
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Atana Collins
MSN, RN, CDN
Would it also surprise you to know that there currently is no cure for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)? How then, do the 37 million adults living with this disease function in their daily lives? The answer is that most of the diagnosed are undergoing some type of renal replacement therapy. Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT) is an umbrella term that includes various treatment options for CKD patients. Despite how widespread this disease is, most people have a limited understanding of renal failure, unless they or a loved one have experienced it. This course offers an overview of renal failure and its causes, discusses the different treatment options currently available to End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) patients, and discusses the pros and cons of each.
- Overview of Kidney Function
- Renal Failure Stages
- Acute vs Chronic Renal Failure
- Types of Dialysis
- Treatment Goals
- Dialysis Settings
- Palliative Care
- Pros and Cons of Treatment Modalities
- Future State of Patients with ESRD
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss renal failure stages, treatments, and outcomes. It will take the average learner 120 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain what renal replacement therapy is.
- Discuss the different treatment options available for people diagnosed with end-stage renal disease.
- Describe the outlook of the renal therapy population in the United States.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: October 18, 2024
Course Offering: #122