Safe Prescribing of Opioids
Contact Hours Awarded: 2 , including 2 pharmacology contact hour(s)
Author: Jillian Hay-Roe
This course will help you better understand safe prescribing practices of opioids and medications used to treat opioid use disorders. CDC guidelines are discussed at length to empower APRNs to provide the best, evidence-based care they can to their patients using opioids for pain management.
- Opioid drug class, indications for use, most prescribed opioids, and their effects.
- Brief History
- Opioid-seeking behaviors
- CDC Guidelines
- Prescription Drug Monitoring
- Electronic Prescribing
- Safe Storage and Disposal
- Patient Teaching
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course, we will discuss the various types of substance abuse and the signs and symptoms of each. It will take the average learner 120 minutes to complete and awards 2 contact hours of continuing education, including 2 pharmacological contact hours.
After completing this course, the learner will rate a 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Describe factors when prescribing opioids, their indications, and their effects.
- Explain new CDC guidelines for opioid prescribing.
- Identify appropriate teaching elements for patients when prescribed opioids.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: September 1, 2026
Course Offering: #179