Caring for Pediatrics With Developmental Delays
Contact Hours Awarded: 3
Author: Cathy Goodwin-Reed
In this course, we will discuss strategies and techniques used to facilitate nursing and medical care in special needs children. This population of patients is extremely rewarding to care for, but they also have complexity that challenges medical staff on a daily basis. Variations in pain expression, verbal ability, physical dissimilarities, and cognitive deficits coupled with potentially anxious or knowledge impaired caregivers are just some of the things that these patients may present with. Having an improved knowledge base regarding these special types of patients will improve health care’s ability to provide the best care. In this course we will discuss strategies used to overcome these barrier and provide high quality care to special needs children.
- Care of Patients with ASD
- Autism Case Study
- Cerebral Palsy
- Care of Patients with CP
- Cerebral Palsy Case Study
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Care of the Patient with ODD
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder Case Study
- Sensory Impairment
- Care of the Patient with Sensory Impairment
- Sensory Impairment Case Study
- The Caregiver (Often an Extension of the Special Needs Child)
- Special Needs Caregiver Case Study
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss strategies that nurses may utilize in order to facilitate nursing and medical care in special needs children. It will take the average reader 150 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify and differentiate common childhood learning and developmental disorders.
- Understand how to approach and communicate with special needs children.
- Identify strategies and techniques which promote cooperation and comfort in special needs children.
- Understand how to care for and work with family/caregiver of special needs children.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Created on: March 01, 2019
Course Renewed on: February 28, 2022
Course Expires on: February 28, 2025
Course Offering: #13