The Basics of Wound Healing
Contact Hours Awarded: 3
Author: Melody Heffline
MSN, APRN, ACNS-BC, ACNP-BC, ACHPN
In the world of nursing, wounds have become a common area of need for understanding. Wounds can be fairly simple to care for or very complex in nature. This presentation will provide information on types of wounds encountered in nursing practice; wound healing and how this occurs; what can impair the healing process and how to improve wound healing by addressing these factors; and steps in the management of the various types of wounds, including choosing the right dressing. A case study will be used to aid in understanding wounds and their management.
- Case Study
- Wound Type
– Surgical Wounds
– Arterial Ulcers
– Venous Ulcers
– Neuropathic Ulcers
– Pressure Ulcers
- Case Study (cont.)
- Normal Wound Healing Phases
- Impaired Wound Healing
- Wound Assessment
– History and Physical
– Wound Examination
– Describing a Wound
- Wound Management
- Surgical Management
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the role of a nurse and the basics of wound healing. It will take the average learner 180 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the wound healing process.
- State the factors that impair wound healing and methods used to improve wound healing in challenging circumstances.
- Discuss the different types of wounds and the specific treatments used with each wound type.
- Describe the different methods used in the management of wounds and the documentation process for wound management.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: July 09, 2024
Course Offering: #105