The Role of a School Nurse During Medical Emergencies
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Mallory Lawler
MSN, RN, CPN, SANE-P
The need to recognize and understand what actions must be taken during medical emergencies in schools is vital for every school nurse. Quick actions, followed by confident treatment can be the difference between life and death for a student. The aim of this course is to provide you with the knowledge of what medical emergencies look like in schools and what your role is during those emergencies.
- Introduction to Medical Emergencies During School
- Allergic Reactions
- Asthma Attack
- Severe Bleeding
- Back and Neck Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Loss of Consciousness
- Jaw Injury
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the role of a school nurse during medical emergencies. It will take the average learner 120 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Determine types of medical emergencies in schools and how to treat them.
- Understand when to call 911 and when to send a student back to class.
- Understand what an individual health care plan is and how it can be used for multiple types of chronic conditions.
- Know the steps to high quality CPR as well as the steps to utilizing an AED while performing CPR.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: June 25, 2024
Course Offering: #96