Administration of Blood Products
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Janice Tazbir
RN, MS, CS, CCRN, CNE, RYT
Administration of blood products is one of the many responsibilities we have as nurses. Almost 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S (1), each with the potential for harm. Unfortunately, many preventable transfusion errors occur each year. Staying up to date on blood administration is the best way for nurses to avoid potentially deadly consequences of transfusion errors.
– Pre-Infusion Checklist
– Assess your Patient
– Determine IV Access
– Vital Signs
– The Importance of Two Step Verification
– Reassessment of Vital Signs
- Blood Transfusion Reactions
- Institutional Policies on the Administration of Blood Products
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the administration of blood products. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand pre-infusion steps to prepare for a blood infusion.
- Identify the steps of blood infusion.
- Describe how to complete a blood infusion and required documentation.
- List special considerations to remember when infusing blood.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: April 07, 2024
Course Offering: 45