Contact Hours Awarded: 5 , including 3 pharmacology contact hours
Author: Cathleen Adams
MBA, BSN, RN, CENP
The opioid epidemic has continued to rise throughout the years, and with that, a rise in new legislation, guidelines, and regulations for prescribing have been established. APRNs seeking to obtain DEA registration to prescribe opioids in their current practice will benefit from the information in this course. Upon completion, APRNs will have a better understanding of how to assess pain, what the most commonly prescribed opioids are, their mechanism of action, side effects, and safe prescribing practices.
- Definition of Pain
- Types of Pain
– Pain assessment
- Opioid Classifications and Drug Schedules
- Commonly Prescribed Opioids, Indications for Use, and Typical Side Effects
- Opioid Use, the Opioid Epidemic, and Statistics
- Federal Regulations on Opioid Prescribing
- Safe Prescribing and Prescription Monitoring Program
- Preventing Opioid Use Disorder
- Treatment for Opioid Overdose
– Clonidine and Lofexidine
- Other Substance Use Disorders
- Drug Diversion
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course, we will discuss the various types of substance abuse and the signs and symptoms of each. This course will take the average learner 300 minutes to complete and awards 5 contact hours of continuing education, including 3 pharmacology hours.
After completing this course, the learner will rate a 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Describe commonly prescribed opioids for pain management and understand their side effects and indications of use.
- Demonstrate understanding of safe prescribing practices for opioids.
- Identify common opioids used to treat addiction disorders.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: September 01, 2026
Course Offering: #183