NY Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse and Maltreatment
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Sarah Schulze
This course fulfills the New York State 2-hour requirement of mandatory training regarding the identification and reporting of child abuse and maltreatment. Since 1989 the NY Education Law has required nurses in this State to fulfill this one-time requirement. As of 2023, there have been updates to the curriculum due to amendments to Social Services Law 413 and all nurses are required to complete this training again by April 1st, 2025.
- Child Welfare Practice Model
- Identifying Abuse and Neglect
- NY Protective Services
- Role of Mandated Reporters
- When to call SCR
- What to expect
- LDSS-2221A form
- Legal Considerations
- Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Protective Factors
- Special Populations
- Post Test
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course, we will discuss the various types of substance abuse and the signs and symptoms of each. It will take the average learner 120 minutes to complete and awards 2 contact hours of continuing education.
After completing this course, the learner will rate a 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Determine if a child shows indicators of maltreatment or abuse, including in a virtual setting.
- Recognize when a mandated reporter has the legal obligation to call the SCR.
- Explain the main points of the legislation that pertain to the rights of mandated reporters.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
- Completion of the Pre and Post Evaluations
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- New York State Department of Education (CA # 80996)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: September 18, 2026
Course Offering: #187