Patient Safety and Surgical Error Prevention
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Susan Schwartz
RN, MSN, MSHA
Patient safety is one of the most important aspects of any form of nursing. In the Operating Room (OR), however, the nurse needs to be even more cognizant of patient care and safety within the perioperative setting. Three major steps to ensure proper care and safety are a huge component to an injury-free outcome, including the time before induction, the time before the first incision, and the time before the patient leaves the surgical room. Prevention of any mishap is paramount and sometimes even triple checking your facts is warranted.
- Justification of Subject Matter
- Description of Universal Protocol
- Case Study
- Three Stops to Enhance Patient Safety
- Case Study (cont.)
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the necessity of patient safety and how to prevent surgical errors. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will rate 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Define the Universal Protocol and what it entails
- List steps to take before the patient comes in the room for their procedure.
- List steps to take before the first incision is made.
- State what should take place before the patient leaves the room.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: July 02, 2024
Course Offering: #101