TBI Treatment and Management in Nursing Care
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Carlana Coogle
DNP, RN, CEN
Assessments are the foundation to ensure no injury or abnormality is overlooked; trauma centers across the county utilize a systematic method to ensure this is done. The following case study will review the elements used in the Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC) to ensure no injuries are overlooked for patients. With the high prevalence of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) presenting in patients who have experienced traumatic events (i.e a motor vehicle crash (MVC)), it is of the utmost importance that nurses can identify the signs, symptoms, and care plan options available. This course will discuss TBI treatment, assessment, and management for trauma patients.
- Case Study and Trauma Nurse Assessment for Potential TBI Treatment
- CDC TBI Fast Facts
- Physician Orders
- Case Study (cont.)
- Subdural Hematoma
- Diagnosing and Treating SDH
- Case Study (cont.)
- Differentiating SDH from Epidural Hematomas
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss TBI treatment, assessment, and management for trauma patients. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will rate 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Identify four critical assessments for a trauma patient with a suspected brain injury.
- Recall which two layers a subdural hematoma (SDH) forms between.
- Name two signs/symptoms of a SDH.
- Understand the expected diagnosis and treatment of a SDH.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: May 28, 2024
Course Offering: #76