The Role of a Nurse in the Correctional Setting
Contact Hours Awarded: 2
Author: Sheila Burns
Nurses are often unaware of the opportunities and realities of working in the correctional setting, as few nursing schools can find placements for students during their training. This course is intended for nurses who are interested in correctional nursing to understand what their role may be and the importance of it. This course will also be beneficial for current correctional nurses to review different ideas and perspectives that may help to improve their provision of care.
- Evolution of Correctional Health Care
- Who are our Patients?
– Health Disparities of Incarcerated Populations
- Nurse’s Role
– Intake and Screening
– Medication Administration
– Non-Emergent Health Care Requests – Sick Calls
– Clinic Care
– Emergency Response
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the role of a nurse in the correctional setting. It will take the average learner 120 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the history of correctional healthcare.
- List the five roles a nurse has in the correctional setting.
- Understand the importance of nurses in improving care standards.
- Identify the unique needs of the patient community in the correctional setting.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: April 09, 2024
Course Offering: 48