- 5646 (Registered)
Contact Hours Awarded: 2.5
Breastfeeding is a natural biological process that has many benefits for human infants, children, and mothers. The promotion and preservation of successful breastfeeding during the first 2 years of life and beyond is a public health issue that can have long term positive effects on global health and survival, nutrition goals, as well as the economy and environment. In this course we will discuss strategies that nurses can use to promote successful breastfeeding based on CDC guidelines and other relevant evidence.
- Current Practice
- Global Implications: The Benefits of Breastfeeding
- The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative: Standards for Hospitals and Birthing Centers to Improve Breastfeeding Goals
- The International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes
- Widespread Promotion of Breastfeeding
- Case Studies
- Moving Forward: The Future of Breastfeeding
- References (Bibliography)
Accreditation statement: Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
More course information
In this course we will discuss the importance of breastfeeding, potential barriers, and strategies nurses can utilize to increase breastfeeding rates. It will require the average user 150 minutes to complete.
Course objectives: Upon completion of the course the learner shall be able to:
- Explain the importance of breastfeeding in relation to mother and infant health.
- Describe the barriers mothers face when attempting to breastfeed.
- List and describe strategies nurses can use to increase breastfeeding compliance.
Registered Nurses (RN)
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for completion:
1.) Enrollment in the course by the learner
2.) Read and learn all course materials
3.) Complete the course evaluation
4.) Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Course offering # 9
Accreditations and approvals:
ANCC (Provider# P0614)
California BRN (Provider# 17418)
Kentucky Board of Nursing (Provider# 7-0090)
Course expiration date: March 1, 2022
Conflict of interest statement: Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
The Effects of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative on Breastfeeding Success
In this course we will discuss the importance of breastfeeding, potential barriers, and strategies nurses can utilize to increase breastfeeding rates.