Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (Wound VAC)
Contact Hours Awarded: 1
Author: Abbie Schmitt
Negative Pressure Wound Therapy is commonly used for managing acute and chronic wounds. Despite its widespread use, many nurses report feeling unprepared and intimidated when they are caring for a patient with an NPWT device. In this course, learners will understand how NPWT works, when it can be used, and how to troubleshoot common issues with a NPWT device.
- Indications for Use
- Mechanism of Action
- Adjunct treatment Options
- Troubleshooting Tips
- Case Study
Nursing CE Central LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course, we will discuss Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (Wound VAC). It will take the average learner 60 minutes to complete and awards 1 contact hours of continuing education.
After completing this course, the learner will rate a 4 out of 5 on the Likert Scale for their ability to:
- Discuss the basic anatomy of the integumentary system.
- List types of wounds that negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) may be used to treat.
- Recognize the mechanism of action of negative pressure wound therapy devices.
- Identify the indications and contraindications of negative pressure wound therapy.
- Describe the nursing assessment for patients with negative pressure wound dressings
- Identify troubleshooting tips for negative pressure wound therapy.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts, or any contributors have any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Expires on: November 16, 2026
Course Offering: #204