Nursing Care of Pediatric Patients by Stage of Development
Contact Hours Awarded: 3.5
Author: Kathy Wiejaczka
The pediatric population presents unique challenges to nurses. The expert in nursing care of pediatric patients recognizes that developmental stage plays a pivotal role in the approach of each child. In this course we will discuss how to care for children of each developmental stage, including expert tips and tricks for pediatric nurses.
- Current Practice in Nursing Care of Pediatric Patients
- Family Responses to Illness and/or the Hospitalized Child
- Developmental Considerations for Appropriate Nursing Interventions
- General Interventions across the Developmental Spectrum
- The Importance of Caring, Consistency, and Humility
- Labeling Feelings
- Let’s Talk About Resiliency
- Developmental Strategies with Infants (0-12 months)
- Developmental Strategies with Toddlers (1- 3 years old)
- Developmental Strategies with Preschool Children (3 years – 6 years)
- Developmental Strategies with School Age Children (6 years – 12 years)
- Developmental Strategies with Adolescent Children (12 years – 18 years)
- Therapeutic Play in Nursing Care of Pediatric Patients
- Cultural Considerations
- Reducing Pain and Discomfort
- Nursing Care of Pediatric Patients with Special Healthcare Needs
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss developmentally appropriate interventions and techniques in nursing care of pediatric patients. It will require the average learner 175 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify age-appropriate interventions used to facilitate medical and nursing care in pediatric patients.
- Explain how to involve the family in pediatric care in order to maximize patient comfort and cooperation.
- Describe the unique challenges nurses face when caring for children of various developmental stages.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course created on: March 01, 2019
Course Expires on: March 01, 2022
Course Offering: #14