The Relationship between Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health Issues
Contact Hours Awarded: 1.5
Author: Amy L. White
Many times, healthcare workers and the direct support professional staff assisting individuals with both intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) fail to understand the differing characteristics of developmental disabilities and mental health issues. Even though they are two separate diagnoses, a correlation exists between the two disorders.
With the increasing number of mental health issues among individuals with developmental disabilities, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate the two. Unfortunately, it can be challenging to understand the defining characteristics of those with a developmental disability and those with mental illness. Oftentimes, it takes careful and timely observations to become aware that there is a defining relationship that exists among the two and that one affects the other. However, it is crucial that the differences are made clear so proper understanding, treatment options, and medical interventions can be made accurately in order for this special population to receive the care they need and deserve.
- Justification of Knowledge
- Definitions of Developmental Disability, Mental Illness, and Community Inclusion
- Misunderstandings Among those with Developmental Disability and Mental Illness
- Treatments and Medical Interventions
- Case Studies
- Moving Forward: The Future of Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health
Nursing CE Central is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
In this course we will discuss the relationship between developmental disabilities and mental health issues. It will take the average learner 90 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand the unique differences between developmental disabilities and mental health issues.
- Describe the correlation between developmental disabilities and mental health that aid in dual diagnosis.
- Evaluate the most effective means of treatment and interventions for these specific areas.
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN/LVN)
Requirement for Completion
- Enrollment in the course by the learner
- Read and learn all course materials
- Complete the course evaluation
- Attest and testify learning of the course materials
Accreditations + Approvals
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (P0614)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 17418)
- Kentucky Board of Nursing (7-0090)
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing (58)
- New York State Department of Education (IC 208)
- Florida Board of Nursing (50-23983)
Conflict of Interest Statement
Nursing CE Central nor any of the authors, planners, content experts or any contributors have a commercial interest nor were influenced by commercial interests in the creation of this course, financially or otherwise.
Course Expires on: MAY 13, 2024
Course Offering: #62